- Contact person: Tara Stacey
- Coordinating organisation: Ballymun Regional Youth Resource BRYR
- Host: Ballymun Regional Youth Resource: http://www.bryr.ie
- Location: Dublin, Ireland
- Deadline: 28/02/2013
- Start: 02/09/2013
- End: 02/08/2014
Ballymun Regional Youth Resource ( BRYR) is seeking EVS volunteers with specific skills or strong interests in art forms to work with young peope aged 10-21yrs. Our youth arts programmes currently include digital media, music, youth theatre, visual arts.
The themes of the project are a) Children & youth with its main aim of working towards the welfare and development of young people aged 10-21 years living in Ballymun and b) Promoting & Supporting Volunteerism in Ballymun and a main aim to promote volunteerism and participation among the young people c) Mixing youth arts and youth work.
While volunteers may be focused especially in areas of youth arts work in BRYR, they will often be exposed to/involved in all other areas of our youth work organisation. Overall, volunteers will learn and participate in a wide range of experiences where they will get the opportunity to use and develop their skills.
BRYR is based in Ballymun. Ballymun is a heavily disadvantaged community but is a dynamic urban centre. Ballymun has unemployment is 4 times that of the state, lower than average education levels, higher rates of crime. However, the population is reasonably settled and the majority like living in here. There is high community activity. Ballymun has an area of 1 square mile and is 7k from the city centre.
1. The volunteer will provide practical support to youth work- arts, supporting group work, activities and excursions. The volunteer will work within our annual calendar of programme activities and work on festivals and special events. Possible tasks within the Arts programme are: • Digital Media area e.g. Support film making, sound and music recordings, animation, digital photography, social media, developing creativity and de-mystifying equipment and software. • Music area e.g. Support the Music club. Bring skills in drums, guitars, keyboards, bands, singing, djing, song-writing, community performances • Visual Art area e.g. Support the Fine Arts groups. Bring skills to activities and community displays e.g. haunted house in Otherworld Hallowe’en Festival, Lift Youth Arts Festival • Theatre area e.g support Roundabout Youth Theatre, facilitating workshops and supporting productions. 2. The volunteer will provide practical support to the wider youth work programme 3. The Volunteer will provide practical support as a general youth work support leader at times – supporting group work, activities and excursions and/or drop-in areas of our youth facility including our multimedia centre, youth café, and sports areas. 4. It is our hope that the volunteers will engage with young people and encourage them to pursue volunteering opportunities both locally and internationally 5. Attend English classes if deemed necessary
The volunteer should be aged between 20 -30 years. Volunteer should be open, outgoing, an easy communicator, assertive. The volunteer should have strong interest/have experience in working with young people aged 10-21 years who live in a disadvantaged area. The volunteer should feel confident in engaging with young people and building positive relationships with these young people. The volunteer must have a good level of fluency in English. The volunteer should be able to show initiative within the boundary of the organisation programme. The volunteer should have a demonstrated interest/ or be talented in any of the above art forms: – visual arts, music, theatre, digital media.
The interested candidate should forward a CV and motivation letter to email@example.com. All applications will be shortlisted by a panel. Interviews will take place on the phone or on Skype. 2 EVS positions are open for this project.