- Contact person: Zuzana Konecna
- Coordinating organisation: YMCA Slovakia
- Host: YMCA na Slovensku – Revuca: https://www.facebook.com/groups/171674732887806/
- Location: Jelsava, Slovakia
- Deadline: 30/04/2014
- Start: 02/06/2014
- End: 31/05/2015
- JELSAVA is small town set in nature of Stolicke mountains, with rich mining history used to be merchants town. It is a rural area facing social and unemployment challenges. Nearly half of the population belongs to Roma community affected by poverty and illiteracy. YMCA Revuca started to work with children, young people and also families from this background more actively in 2011 by starting a drop-in centre. The volunteering in local community centre is challenging but also very rewarding experience. The centre is equipped with games, clubrooms and study rooms, there is a large private garden area. Volunteers can also join local schools in nearby Revuca and join some of the other YMCA activities held in the area like children camps, outdoor sports and hikes in untouched local nature.
Help with regular activities of the drop-in centres: free time clubs for younger children (games, arts and crafts), teenagers (tearoom, film evenings, sports, music and singing clubs) and adults (mother’s club), teaching foreign languages, especially English or other languages according to volunteer abilities. General help with centre maintenance is also required. Volunteers will be given freedom to create own activities for children and young people according to their talents and skills. They can support local staff with some administrative tasks and develop their organizational skills. Apart from regular activities in the drop-in centre, the volunteers can join other events organised by YMCA in local area like Summer and Winter children camps, outdoor trips and non-traditional sports, help with charity work in town or join activities in local schools (assisting teachers in language or free time activities for kids and teenagers) Volunteers will be supported by experienced staff and youth workers, will be given separate place for living with all amenities, mentor to help them with settling into the new environment at the begining, balanced working time, Slovak language lessons. Slovakia is naturally hospitable country, great for exploration. Please note, this EVS more suitable for more mature persons with some experience working with kids or other social work although such experience is not required. Volunteers should be active in approaching the community, seek active involvement, be independent to organise their leisure time, be openminded about new culture and subcultures. YMCA is an ecumenical Christian youth movement open to cooperation with volunteers of any religious background.
– ability to work on own initiative, independently but also as part of team – ability to cope with living in rural area, find own activities of interest – be open minded to work in challenging environment (socially, culturally..) – previous experience of working with children and youth welcome – basic knowledge of English or Slovak for daily communication
Please forward us your motivation letter together with current CV, we will contact for online interview only selected candidates.