- Contact person: Christine Gantner
- Coordinating organisation: LOGO EUINFO
- Host: WIKI Youth Point Birkfeld, 2011-AT-33: http://www.myspace.com/jugendtreffbirkfeld
- Location: Birkfeld, Austria
- Deadline: 10/04/2014
- Start: 01/10/2014
- End: 31/07/2015
- The organisation WIKI operates in the field of child care to youth work. There are 10 Youth Points in the region of Styria. The main idea behind the Youth Points is to provide recreational activities, promote active communication and interaction through a variety of approaches (new media, sports, creativity, music and so on). One of the key aims is to show the youngsters recreational activities that do not involve violence, crime, drugs or alcohol. The EVS hosting Youth Point is located in Birkfeld, a town located in a rural area with a population of 1750 inhabitants. The Youth Point offers great facilities for the youngsters – reaching from table football, billiard, games, internet, cooking, discussions about job/drug prevention/sexuality… There are two more Youth Points in the surroundings: Strallegg and Miesenbach. The opening hours are during the week in the afternoon. Youngsters in the age range of 12 – 19 years attend the Youth Point. The volunteer’s main working place will be in Birkfeld, he/she can get to know the Youth Points in the surroundings as the same team attends all youth centres in the region.
The volunteer will live in Graz. Graz is the second largest city in Austria with about 270.000 inhabitants. Being a university town many young people are living here and so it offers interesting cultural, social and sportive day and night activities. The transfer between Graz and Birkfeld (distance ca. 50 km) takes about one hour. The volunteer will be given a lift by the members of the team who live in Graz or she/he can take the bus. For someone who loves nature, sports and a rural surrounding Birkfeld is quite a little paradise (http://www.birkfeld.at). Have a look at the Youth Point Birkfeld: http://www.myspace.com/jugendtreffbirkfeld
Volunteers will be involved in arranging and planning workshops and excursions, gender specific work, multicultural education, networking, interactive media pedagogy, educational leisure activities, and assisting young people with job applications and homework. The volunteer has the opportunity to develop his/her own projects, and will be fully supported by the team. However the volunteer will not have the same responsibilities as the qualified employees. The volunteer should not become a “viewer” but an active part of the activities. The volunteer should like working and speaking with young people about their problems, wishes and ideas. He/ she should be able to give help to organize activities. In ideal case the volunteer plans an own project and can bring in own ideas. So, if he/she is interested in sports he/she could organize sport activities like a soccer cup or a skate event, a basketball workshop or a dance training. The volunteer could take a supporting role in developing new perspectives for the future for the children/youngsters. The volunteer will bring new aspects into our daily life by contributing a foreign language (his/her mother’s tongue) and his/her personal intercultural background, which will enrich the lives of the children and young people.
Due to the target group in the Youth Point we prefer volunteers over 20 years. The volunteer should be flexible and show interest and motivation for this project. It is very important that the volunteer is open-minded, outgoing, patient, friendly and communicative in the work with youngsters. You should not be afraid to stay with a group of young people inside or outside the Youth Point. The basic knowledge of the German language would be an advantage but is not a must since the team colleagues speak English as well. Concerning the transfer between Graz and Birkfeld it would be an advantage if the volunteer has a driving license. Volunteers should not mind the long car rides (1h) to the project.
Please send your application/CV and SPECIFIC letter of motivation until 10/04/2014 to the coordinating organisation LOGO jugendmanagement gmbh. EVS coordinator: Christine Gantner, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please express among others what appeals to you in this project and why you want to participate exactly in this project. Don’t forget to name the project number. Only applications with SPECIFIC letters of motivation will be considered. ONLY shortlisted candidates will be informed by 11/04/2014.