ONLY for SPANISH citizens!
Application deadline: 20 May 2014
EVS PROJECT ENVIRONMENT:
Association for the Protection of Homeless animals ALGA has now two private animal centres shelters-rescue centres. The main shelter is situated in the suburb area of the capital of Moldova – Chisinau. The territory is surrounded by fence to guard and keep the dogs. The dogs are kept in big cages, the territory is also divided into several sections for the safety and security of the workers and the animals. There is one administrative building with a room for handicapped dogs, and with a premise to medical procedures on the territory of the shelter. The shelter itself is located in the suburb village where there are fields and forests around. In the team there are veterinarian doctor, a local volunteer to guard the territory, and a coordinator to supervise and monitor the activities of the centre and support EVS volunteers. Additionally the local volunteers come to help with the dogs. Shelter is accepting 2 EVS volunteers. The association additionally has opened the second dog shelter premise in Chisinau, that is located in the industrial area of the city.
Volunteer will be able to reach it by local city transport. Currently at the new premise of the Association there are several local volunteers helping to guard and take care of 50 adult dogs and 25 puppies that are kept in 2 big separated cages. The territory itself is surrounded by fence along with the necessary equipment to guard the animals. The shelter is open for everyone who wants to help and donate. However to guarantee the security in order to enter the territory a permission should be asked for. The local volunteers work in 24 hours shifts. Volunteer is expected to work in the day time, from 9:00 am till 16:00 pm. Shelter is accepting 2 EVS volunteers.
The volunteer will be provided with accommodation in the city of Chisinau and will have to travel to the hosting organization rescue centres every day by local buses. In order to get to the main shelter volunteer should take a regional bus, the bus ride duration is about 30-40 minutes and there volunteer also need to walk about 7-10 minutes through the village to get to the main shelter. In order to get to the second shelter that is located in the remote area of Chisinau volunteer takes the local bus, the bus ride takes about 25 minutes and from the bus station to the shelter there is about 15-20 minutes to walk up the hill. There is no
infrastructure there and therefore the walking road requires the volunteer to have proper walking shoes for bad weather and warm outdoor clothe for winter season/autumn. We will emphasize that during the autumn and winter seasons when the day is shorter, volunteers will work only in the daylight hours to avoid possible safety risks. Moreover, for the safety of volunteer the shelter coordinators can meet with the volunteers on the bus station and walk to the project together, and the same – on the way back home. Chisinau is the main administrative, economic, scientific and cultural centre of Moldova. The city has just over 700,000 inhabitants and the whole metropolitan area is roughly one million inhabitants. In terms of number of inhabitants, Chisinau is the largest city of the country. Chisinau is divided in five administrative sectors; Botanica, Buiucani, Center, Ciocana and Riscani. It is
often referred to as the greenest city in Europe due to the high proportion of well maintained green spaces.
PROPOSED ACTIVITIES FOR EVS VOLUNTEERS:
The volunteers will have the opportunity to grow in the organization. Also there are possibilities to see all the aspects of working in ALGA. For example to take care of the animals and do administrative work or help with promoting activities. The main role of the
EVS volunteer is to help the ALGA staff to take care of dogs and work together on the promotion of animals rights in Moldova. The main tasks include the following activities:
The first direction of work will be helping the ALGA staff to promote the anima…
MOTIVATION AND EVS EXPERIENCE
Our main motivation to host EVS volunteer is to exchange culture and knowledge. We want to raise awareness of how life is on in animal shelter and what animal shelter means. Besides we think that EVS volunteer that comes from another culture and another social environment can contribute to promotion of animals rights in our country and can positively change the local society attitude towards the street dogs. We have hosted many EVS volunteers from different European countries since 2010 and would like to continue this experience.
DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANISATION
Association for the Protection of Homeless Animals ALGA is a non-profit organization, created in 2006. The Association is run solely by volunteers, who are dedicating their time and money to helping the homeless animals of the country. The work team consists of president of association, project assistant, a veterinarian, assisting workers and volunteers. The number of dogs hosted by the association is up to 200, therefore the whole team is actively engaged in the everyday activities in the shelter, that involves the physical work mostly.
– reducing the overpopulation of street animals by using human methods;
– protecting street animals from the cruel and inhuman treatment;
– creating necessary conditions for a good coexistence between people and animals;
– education, by helping people to understand that there are other methods than killing dogs.
Our current activities are:
– introducing a moratorium on the killing of homeless animals;
– adoption of a municipal program with the purpose of reducing the overpopulation of homeless animals through sterilization/spraying as the only acceptable mean for population control;
– withdrawal of all rights from the state enterprise Autosalubritatea (Garbage and sanitation), currently entrusted with dealing with the homeless animals and transfer the matter under the control of the Veterinary Department;
– creation of a centre for sterilization, vaccination and temporary hosting of homeless animals in Chisinau;
– creation of a group of staff, such as specialists for catching homeless animals, vets, personnel for the care of animals etc;
– isolation of animals, representing a threat for the society (such as aggressive dogs or dogs with infectious diseases);
– adoption and implementation on a national level of a law on the protection of animals, including strict rules for animal possession;
– creation of educational programmes for younger generation, to be thought in the schools of the country;
– running the Casa Katharina – a private animal shelter/ rescue centre in the suburb of Chisinau;
– running new additional private animal shelter in the area of Chisinau;
Please send us your curriculum and motivation letter at : email@example.com
More information : http://ajovenes.wordpress.com/ofertas-sve/
IMPORTANT : if you’re applying for different projects, please send us a motivation letter for EACH project