On the way to Bloom
Location: Figueira da Foz, Portugal
Period: 01/09/2016 – 31/05/2017
Deadline: 12 April 2016
We have a vacancy for 4 volunteers in 2 different hosting organisations:
1) APAFF (PIC 940689802):APAFF – Animal Protection Association of Figueira da Foz, formed in deed on 15 May 2001 in 1st Notary Office of Figueira da Foz and considered Public Utility at DAJD/417/2012-desp. nº 1185/2012 – DR 173- II série – parte C. The main goal of organization is to find a lifelong, loving home for every pet, which includes objective to improve the quality of life for all companion animals by creating and supporting programs that save the lives of homeless pets and promote healthy relationships between people and pets. APAFF has only one paid employee which is a vet-nurse, the rest of work is done by volunteers. Activities of organization are addressed to the local community of Figueira da Foz and near surroundings, with a specific attention to children and youngsters.
2) Cavalo Amigo (PIC 924437452): CAVALO AMIGO – Associação Portuguesa de Terapia e Formação Equestre – is a private non-profit organization founded in 2007 with the aim to provide therapeutic horse riding sessions to people with disabilities and special needs residing in the district of Coimbra, mainly in Figueira da Foz and Montemor-o-Velho. Our mission is to help improve the lives of people with disabilities and special needs that can benefit from horse riding and other equine related activities. We currently work on a weekly basis with over 40 children and adults who would, otherwise, not be able to afford benefiting from such an excellent therapeutic method. In order to keep our project alive, we rely on funding and on a growing network of volunteers. Another important part of our mission is to promote activities in Animal and Environmental protection in collaboration with schools and other entities. We are trying to create a better future by teaching our children and youngsters the pleasure to know and take care of environment which surrounds them, to teach how to earn to live differently among equals.
Regular activities: In our agenda we have such weekly activities for groups and individuals as hippotheraphy (54 participants), therapeutic horse riding sessions (currently 8 participants) and para-equestrian activities for disabled people. Once a week we also have a horse riding school activities for all the other interested people starting from age 6, as well as “Pony club” for children with age from 2 to 5 years. Furthermore, we organise other regular activities during children holidays (Carvanal, Easter, summer and Christmas holidays) and other activities which happen several times per year.
1) APAFF (PIC (PIC 940689802):
• Educational material: at school workshops about basic needs of companion animals, responsible ownership, importance of neutering and spaying, safety around pets, etc. so we are in constant need of new educational resources to deliver children new ways to talk to them about this issues. Videos, games, role play, theatre, drawings, etc.
• Practical animal care: Apaff runs a shelter for 250 dogs and 14 cats (at the moment). Feeding, giving water, cleaning bowls, poop scooping, changing bedding, washing dog houses, inspecting and reporting heath or behavior issues, socializing and comforting the dogs; teaching dogs basic obedience commands and grooming them are some of the daily activities at the site.
• Individual projects: During the voluntary service, the volunteer will have the opportunity to think, prepare and execute his own project with the help of the tutor and the members of the association. A special and regular time during the week is defined to achieve this objective.
• Food collection campaigns: Each first weekend of the month Apaff goes to local supermarkets and has volunteers approach shoppers at the entry and ask them to donate dog or cat food, collars, cleaning supplies, cat litter, etc.
• Cat Neutering Center: Apaff runs the first European center exclusively dedicated to feral cat population management. Activities here vary depending on the academic background and wishes of volunteers: cleaning prep and surgery rooms in clinic; assisting with lab work; maintaining cage cleanliness; preparing medicine and subcutaneous fluids; assisting with laundry; sweeping and mopping; and safely handling animals, perform basic feline health assessment, performing spaying and neutering, trapping, transporting and releasing cats, fill out capture form, etc.
• Fundraising campaigns: Music, dance, theatre, cinema, second hand clothing, bakery,- together with APAFF volunteers will organise activities in Figueira da Foz.
2) Cavalo Amigo (PIC 924437452): Typcial tasks:
1. THERAPEUTIC HORSE RIDING PROGRAMME: Volunteers will receive training on Therapeutic Horse Riding and be asked to assist in the weekly sessions (4 days/ week) – this will provide them opportunity to learn about the objectives, benefits and requirements in a therapeutic horse riding programme as well as contact and help improve the quality of life of children and adults with special needs and/or different disabilities.
2. ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATIONAL CENTRE: CAVALO AMIGO is currently developing an Environmental Educational Centre – volunteers will be asked to help in building fences, houses to host animals, etc and manage the biological vegetable-garden. Furthermore, volunteers will have the opportunity to pro-active in developing fun and creative activities to help raise children awareness on environmental sustainability.
3. HORSE RIDING CENTRE MANAGEMENT: Helping CAVALO AMIGO’s team with the maintenance of the horses and riding centre will also be part of volunteer’s tasks – grooming, feeding, cleaning the stables and material. Volunteers will be offered the opportunity to have horse riding lessons and learn how to handle horses and how to manage a horse riding centre. Currently we are hosting 20 ponies and horses.
4. HOLIDAY CAMPS: CAVALO AMIGO organises 5-10 days holiday camps for children aged between 4-15yrs where volunteers will be asked to participate in the activities (educational games, horseback tours, fun activities with ponies and horses, face painting, gardening).
5. FUNDRAISING CAMPAIGNS: volunteers will be asked to participate in developing fun and creative fundraising campaigns of local, national and international scope.
6. EDUCATIONAL MATERIAL: volunteers will have the opportunity to create together with CAVALO AMIGO’s team educational material to be used in schools and other events to raise children awareness on animal welfare and on the rights of people with disabilities.
7. PERSONAL PROJECTS: During the project the volunteer will have the opportunity to think, prepare and execute his own project with the help of the tutor and the members of the association. A special and regular time during the week is defined to achieve this objective.
Send us an email to email@example.com with your CV, Motivation Letter and the form “BLOOM_EVS_Registration_Form_2016” attached filled.