Long-term EVS project for program countries in Lithuania
Location: Kaunas, Lithuania
Period: 01/08/2017 – 01/07/2018
Deadline: 22 December 2016
Animal shelter located near Kaunas is looking for one volunteer to help to maintain the shelter – to take care of animals, clean, pet, walk them and help with administrative tasks. Pictures and website – http://www.lese.lt/en/start It would be important that volunteer wouldn’t have allergies, would love all kind of animals – young and old, healthy and sick and would not be afraid to face the smell and dirt that animals create. It would be very useful if volunteer can understand russian.
Founded in 2007, “Lesė” is an animal charity in Lithuania providing animal shelter and funding pet neutering programs for homeless cats and dogs. The organisation is funded by donations and is run by unpaid volunteers only. Back in 2007, the organisation was one of the first “no-kill” animal shelters in Lithuania, when animal care in Lithuania was almost non-existent and State-funded shelters were euthanizing up to 90% of animals without any hope for adoption. The organisation was founded by volunteers animal lovers, who started to shelter homeless animals at their homes and advertise them for adoption. In 2008, “Lesė” opened a proper animal shelter and since then has adopted over 4 500 animals.
The organisations is also well-known for its neutering programs, because it was the pioneer and leader of “Trap-Neuter-Release” program for stray cats as well as funding subsidies for pet neutering for low-income groups. Since the establishment, the organisation has funded neutering for over 2,500 animals, which probably saved lives for another 25 000 unwelcome cubs per year.
What We Do:
• Rescue, sheltering and rehoming of animals.
• Organising and funding of animal neutering programs including Trap-Neuter-Release for stray cats.
• Society education through charity events and lectures for children and youth.
• Providing information about homeless animals in all animal shelters in Lithuania through our portal Animalcare.lt.
Our goals are:
• Reducing the number of unwanted pet animals in a humane way;
• Finding new homes for homeless animals;
• Promoting the society awareness and stopping cruelty against animals;
• Establishing an animal shelter meeting EU standards and creating an effective animal rescue system.
All activities for every volunteer are focused on nonformal learning, intercultural learning, personal and professional development.
The foundation of our organization is our volunteers who keep contributing their ideas, efforts and resources to Lesė.
1. Various tasks in the shelter:
– walking dogs;
– cleaning cages and rooms;
– feeding animals;
– providing treatment procedures;
– trainings for dogs;
– brushing animals;
– play with animals.
2. We also offer activities with administrative work:
– posters, design of leaflets;
– photographing pets;
– making videos;
– increasing social awareness;
– searching for potential sponsorship.
3. Participation in events:
– meetings in shools and universities;
– national Dogs show
– is catching and transporting stray cats for the program Trap-Neuter-Release
Please send your CV and short motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org until 22nd of December.