EU Volunteers to learn
Location: Panciu (jud. Vrancea, Romania)
Period: 01/02/2017 – 31/12/2017
Deadline: 15 February 2017
Asociatia Lumea lui Pinocchio is looking for short-term volunteers from Estonia, Germany, Bulgaria, Spain, Austria, UK. They’ll be involved in socio-educational activities at the Daily Centre Pinocchio for disadvantaged children! Don’t miss this opportunity!!!
Asociatia Lumea lui Pinocchio is a non-profit organization founded in 2001 in Panciu, Vrancea, Romania. In 2002, Association Lumea lui Pinocchio (ex Rom pentru Rom) began its activity in Panciu in order to support a sustainable local development. First of all, the association developed projects dealing with the building of houses of some of the poorest Roma families of Panciu and also proposing training opportunities about IT, carpentry and non-formal education. Deepening its knowledge of the territory and observing the local socio-educational problems, in 2006, the Association changed its vision starting to operate directly with children and youngsters. Thus, it has been founded the Educational Daily Centre “Pinocchio” in order to work on social integration starting from an early age.
At the moment the association focuses its activities on two main cores:
– Daily Socio-Educational Centre Pinocchio (accredited as social services provider), for disadvanteged chidlren, youngsters and families of Panciu, in particular those who belong to the local Roma minority;
– Centre for the Promotion of voluntarism
Since 2003 the association is accredited for the hosting, sending and coordination of volunteers under the European Voluntary Service and has a multi-year experience in managing youth exchanges projects, both actions being included in the Youth in Action program (now Erasmus+).
Since its foundation the association also hosts solidarity workcamps and other groups of short-term volunteers (e.g. scouts, clowns’ association, etc.) that usually help both with the educational activities and also with manual activities for the maintenance of the association’s buildings.
a) Socio-educational sector: the Daily Centre Pinocchio managed by Asociatia Lumea lui Pinocchio, hosts regularly about 50 children, part of whom belongs to the Roma minority of Panciu. The volunteers involved in the educational sector, together with the local staff, will prepare and carry out educational activities for children and they will also participate in coordination meetings of the association and the educational sector.
Main activities in this sector:
collaboration with local educators for the planification, organization and realization of formal and non-formal education activities, such as: afterschool service and alphabetization activities; workhops on theatre, handicraft, personal hygiene, environment, jugglery, photography, puppets, painting, labs with recycled materials, music, etc.; sport competitions and outings
collaboration with the social worker during the home visits to the families of the children and youngsters
assisting the staff in providing meals in the canteen and in helping children washing their teeth after lunch/snack
dissemination of projects’ activities, objectives and achieved results through periodic articles (at least 1 per EVS volunteer) and witnesses in local schools
organization of some recreational initiatives for the benefit of other local social and educational realities (e.g. foster house for children in Panciu, rest home for old people, children’s library).
b) Office activities: in case a volunteer has ICT competencies/interests, he/she could be also involved in some communication and sensitization activities of the hosting organization (e.g. realization of promotional material for workshops in local schools or other public events, local sensitization campaigns, updating of LLP’s website/Facebook page).
– Volunteers do not need to have a sending organization, because the project has been already approved with sending organizationsfrom: Estonia, Germany, Bulgaria, Spain, Austria, UK;
Hours / days of service per week: 35 hours a week – 5 days of service. Free weekends.
– Benefits for volunteers: travel costs’ coverage (on the basis of the „distance calculator” of the European Commission); board and lodging; insurance; monthly allowance; support of a local mentor; specific training to the project and the volunteers’ individual activities.
– Requirements: age 18-30 (30 + 364 days at the moment of the project’s submission); basic English knowledge and strong motivation to volunteering. In addition, for the volunteers of the educational sector a previous experience in the educational field, better if with disadvantaged children, is required; for the volunteer of the office sector previous experiences/competences in the IT, graphical and promotional fields are preferable.
– Board and lodging: The volunteers will live in a traditional house that the Association Lumea lui Pinocchio earmarks for their hospitality and they will share the accommodation with other international volunteers. The house is simple and it can accommodate up to 6 persons and is equipped with a kitchen, a large dining room and two bathrooms. It is located just a few meters from the headquarters of Asociatia Lumea lui Pinocchio and the Daily Centre Pinocchio, where volunteers carry out their EVS activities. The volunteers will take care of the house cleaning and of the meals’ preparation. The food will be provided by the association according to the needs of volunteers.
Please send your CV and motivation letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
You’ll be contacted for a Skype interview with the coordinator of Asociatia Lumea lui Pinocchio.