Tallinn Sydalinna School
Location: Tallinn, Estonia
Period: 04/09/2017 – 03/07/2017
Deadline: 22 March 2017
Tallinna Südalinna Kool is looking for a motivated volunteer who wants to work in a great team beeing part of an inspiring school trying to create an inspiring and motivating atmosphere.
Our school was opened in 1966. Since 2013, our school is named Tallinna Südalinna Kool (Tallinn Sydalinna School). Since fall of 2015, the school became a Basic School (children are 7-15 years old) with 373 students in 17 class sets. In fall 2016 we have about 400 students and 30 teachers. Learning in our school takes place in Estonian.
We have a beautiful and renovated building in the center of the city. We have a future classroom (3D printer, TV, Smart-board, I-pads, new and flexible furniture etc) as of 2015. All 1st grade students begin with digital learning and robotics as part of the curriculum. Our children are learning English from 1st grade, Russian and German from 6th grade.Every month our school offers the families different handicrafts workshops, concerts and sport activities. In our school there are over 20 different after school activities (sport, music, dance, art, brain games etc). Many of the activities are free of charge.
School also offers an after school programme until 4 pm and after that children can stay in school if they take part in several trainings, etc.
Our school slogan: AB IMO PECTORE! – with all of my heart. We also use the slogan: Homely school at the heart of the city. Vision: A good learning environment in the school, which supports the development of each child. Mission: To ensure the best education for each student according to their abilities.
● presenting volunteer`s homeland culture (for example music, famous people and places etc);
● practising English/German/Russian/or some other language with pupils (mostly 7-15 years old) or teachers/parents in hobby groups;
● organizing workshops, parties, events for children/teachers/parents etc;
● playing with pupils during outside breaks or active indoor breaks (for example dance breake, table tennis, board games, computer games etc) and in after school programme (children are mostly 7-10 years old);
● organising hobby groups according to the volunteer’s talents (for example art; cooking, music or sport etc) (children are 7-15 years old; hobby groups can be also for parents or teachers)
● accompanying pupils on study visits (museums, theatre, cinema etc)
● helping youth activity leader and teachers in other current recreation activities etc. (In our school all events and informal activities/projects are organised in collaboration with youth activity leader, teachers, project manager etc.)
We would offer to volunteer free Estonian language lessons with children who are starters in Estonian at least twice a week. We would like the volunteer to be a part of our staff, so that the volunteer could take part in teachers’ trainings and tours around Estonia. With our pupils, the volunteers can visit events and different places around Estonia. By taking part in school events, the volunteer can learn about Estonian traditions and culture.
In order to apply for our open EVS placements in Estonia, please fill in the EstYES application form that you can download from here: http://www.estyes.ee/en/opportunities-2/european-voluntary-service-evs/open-placements/ and send it to email@example.com