EVS w Rumunii, Active Youth in Rural Settings
Location: Izvoarele, Romania
Period: 01/09/2017 – 28/02/2018
Deadline: 26 July 2017
The objective of the “Active Youth in Rural Settings” project is to bring the volunteers from Poland to communities of Izvoarele, Maneciu and Valenii de Munte, in Prahova region of Romania. The volunteers will be working closely with school pedagogues/
teachers and Curba de Cultura youth workers as their assistants helping with orginizing activities for children and young people.
Through this various activities will help children, youth and their families strongly improve their life skills, communication skills, tolerance and outlook.
Curba de Cultură focuses on teenagers and youth development. Our mission is to use non-formal education as a complementary
method to the formal educational system for young people. We want to create the premises for a better development of the young
people and their more suited integration within their respective communities. We want to make young people aware that they
actively belong to their local and national culture.
For the period of 2014-2018, we, at Curba de Cultură, have prepared a multi-layered strategy targeting our core objectives.
Strategically, we plan to:
• extend the youth centres network in rural Romania to all 8 historical regions;
• Extend and develop CdC affiliates in the Balkans and Central Europe, creating a European wide network;
• Become an official partner to the regional youth administrations in Romania related to rural youth development;
• Become an official partner of the Romanian Government regarding general development of the youth sector and specifically to
develop professional youth work in Romania.
Operationally, we aim at:
• Increasing international exposure for young people in rural communities through Youth Exchanges developed by young people;
• Hosting EVS volunteers in youth centres in Izvoarele and Rosia Montana in non-formal learning, rural development and personal
development related projects;
• Capacity building for rural youth organisations in Europe through participation in trainings, seminars and job shadowing
• Providing residence opportunities for young artists with an interest in studying rural communities;
• organizing contact making events for establishing relevant partnerships in youth projects in Europe;
• developing a programme for art residencies in order to create a strong link between performative art and the rural environment,
and also to provide the place for reflection and work dedicated to young artists.
The activities the volunteers will organize and take part in are:
1. Promoting nonformal learning and volunteering in the extended community.This will be done in local school in the community through energizers,icebreakers,teambuilding games simulation games and workshops during small events or during different holidays(Education Day,Halloween,Volunteers Day,Christmas,Child’s Day etc).
2. Non-formal learning activities with young people and children in the school during English language classes.
Previous projects showed us that children and youngsters feel much more motivated to learn and speak English or any other foreign language when they see its utility and when the process is done in a less theoretical manner. Once a week for each school the volunteers will attend the foreign languages classes and play learning games in order to improve the learning process. The teacher and the volunteers will always discuss beforehand about the topic and the methods to be used. Doing this activity the volunteer will get ore confident in working with children and youngsters, in socializing and in developing social skills and facilitation skills
3.Nonformal learning activities with young people aged 15-19 within the Youth Centre.
The volunteers (EVS and local)will design and implement short activities or workshops for young people attending the youth centre.They will facilitate board games and competitions,treasure hunt, social animation,group discussions and English Speaking meetings
4.Organizing cinema nights in the community and the surrounding villages.
A team made of EVS volunteers and local volunteers will be in charge of organizing cinema nights for the community.The previous project showed us that cinema nights are more than welcomed due to the fact that the nearest cinema is at more 50 km away.The attendance for the previous cinema nights varied but it was always over 20 people and reaching even 100 spectators.The team in charge of cinema nights will take care of the logistics and will take part in short discussions after the movie.The films will always be chosen to have a strong community theme aiming at sensibilisation of the local population towards their own issues.
5.Managing the library within the youth centre.
This is entirely designed to be managed by young people for young people.This way the EVS volunteers can take part together with the local volunteers in managing the library. They will act as librarians, they will register books,register new readers,lend books and send out e-mail to late customers.Special events will be organized as Human Library, or World Cafe
6.Documenting activities and reporting.
Also the volunteers will be encouraged to write blog post and articles for Curba de Cultura web page in order to share their experience and to encourage other youngsters to take the same challenges.This will also be an important part of the project for raising awareness regarding the European Opportunities offered to young people.
More general the tasks will be:
– promoting non-formal learning and volunteering in the community
– non-formal learning activities with children during the summer
– non-formal learning activities with young people aged 15-20 within the youth centre
– organizing hiking trips to the nearby mountains under the supervision of the volunteer coordinator
– organizing cultural events including country presentations, traditional dances and music etc
– managing the library within the youth centre
– organizing language courses (English, French, German etc)
– organizing workshops and activities for youngsters and even for adults
– documenting the activities and reporting
– writing articles and blog posts in order to promote volunteering, EVS and Erasmus+ Programme
The volunteers can be involved in all the activities mentioned above or even more such as:
– Juggling club
– Human Rights Education
– Personal Development sessions and seminars
– Arts workshops and training courses
We are searching for young and open minded volunteers. Volunteers should be motivated, responsible, and ready to learn and to work in a team. We are looking for volunteers who like to work with people from young generation: kids, youth, students
We are interested in people who are enthusiastic, creative, communicative, open-minded, socially sensitive and supporting the idea of tolerance, respect and cooperation between cultures, willing to share their experience and knowledge with the others and willing to turn their ideas into action as one of the aim of receiving organization is to create space for the personal development of the youngster creating space and opportunity to express themselves and their will.
Necessary requirement will be major age (18-30, according to Erasmus+ rules), while no minimum level of language is required. We think that EVS is a perfect tool and chance to learn a new language, altough a basic level of english is recommended.
Please send us your CV and cover letter in English to: email@example.com untill 26th of July 2017
The volunteers will be accomodated in a traditional house in the community. The accommodation which will be used is the one used for the current projects. It is also the one which the representatives of the Romanian NA visited and agreed with.The house offers decent and clean conditions within the standards of the community and according to the EVS Charter.The volunteers will share bedrooms,2 people in a room but they will also have a common space in the house.The house is equiped with all the needed house appliances (washing machine,refrigerator,cooker,vacuum cleaner).The heating sistem is based on fire with wood,in masonry stoves.Each room has its own stove.The hot water comes from an electric boiler.
Food and Pocket money
At the beginning,for the first week they will receive support for shopping and for the monthly budget.During the entire project the volunteers will receive money for food monthly in order to buy it for their own and this will help them to integrate in the community,because most of the shopping can be done at local grocery stores.The amount provided is 100 EUR per month, in RON via bank transfer.
Amount provided by EC to Pocket money is in amount of 60 EUR per month, paid in RON via bank transfer.
the volunteers will be provided with monthly bus subscriptions.There are 6 busses a day between the accomodation place and the main village of the commune and over 15 busses per day between the main village and the nearest town.
It will be provided by a Romanian language teacher familiar with non-formal methodology,twice a week for the beginning of the project.